Fire at John A Lau Saloon and Restaurant - UPDATE
Tue, 21 Jul 2020 18:47:10 EDT


Alpena City Fire Chief Bill Forbush held a press briefing late Tuesday afternoon (July 21st) regarding the fire at John A Lau Saloon and Restaurant on 414 North Second Avenue in Alpena earlier the same day.

Forbush explained that the first fire department unit was on scene at 1:36 p.m. and found heavy smoke from the rear building.

He said workers were welding at the rear of the building and accidentally ignited wooden structure. Fire extended through void space on to the roof and was visible there on arrival. During the firefight there was a partial collaspe of the restaurant.

John A Lau is considered a total loss, however, the Thunder Bay Theatre, which is attached to the restaurant, is intact with some smoke and water damage. The incident is being considered an accidental fire. As previously reported, Jon A Lau had recently been preparing to reopen.

High voltage wires in the nearby alley were endangered so Alpena Power cut off power to a large area to ensure safety on scene and the Second Avenue bridge was closed to traffic.

Forbush said there were some people inside the theatre and some workers in the restaurant, but they were evacuated and there are no injuries reported.

Crews worked into the night doing salvage and overhaul.

=====

PHOTOS: John A Lau Saloon and Restaurant

   

WebReadyTM Powered by WireReadyNSI